Odds are the day will come when you need to speak to a real estate agent to help you sell your home. When that day comes, you want to be absolutely sure you have the knowledge you need to choose someone who has the background and skills to represent your interests, meet your needs, and someone who will make the process a positive experience.
Buyer’s Agents vs Seller’s Agents
First, you’ll want to work with an agent who represents sellers as the majority of their business. It is common for real estate agents to find their niche or specialty, they typically become an agent who lists homes and is a ‘Seller’s Agent’ or they find homes for their clients and they are ‘Buyer’s Agent’. You’ll find that many agents have experience on both the buying and selling side of the situation, but when you are selling a home, it is optimal to work with an agent who has dedicated the majority of their time working with sellers.
Having rapport with your agent is important. It is ideal to work with someone you like as well as someone who will communicate well with you. There is another effective way to sort the amateurs and the pros, and those are look at the track record of the agent.
Here are some direct questions which will help you compare agent experience and performance:
- How many continuous years have you been in real estate?
- How many homes did you sell last year working as the seller’s agent?
- Of the homes you’ve sold in the past year, what was the average number of days the home was on the market from initial listing date until the final, accepted offer?
- Looking at your past 12 months of closed sales, what percentage has the final selling price been compared to the initial listing price?
- How much will you charge me to sell my home? What sort of marketing efforts does this cover?
- Do you have an assistant to help you sell homes?
- Are you considered by your company’s owner to be one of the top producers in your office?
These questions may seem somewhat blunt, but full-time agents with a career built on selling homes shouldn’t have a problem answering you to the best of their ability. Selling your home is a significant event in your life and should be handled by analyzing all of your options.
Give us a call today, and we will be happy to answer your questions! (928) 308-9595