Protect Your Home While You Are Away
Even though Prescott, Arizona, is a popular vacation destination, many people go on vacation throughout the year. Before you leave town, I thought you might be interested in a few precautionary safety tips to keep your home and your possessions safe while you’re gone. Often in the run-up to a vacation, people neglect to take simple steps to protect themselves from becoming a victim of theft or vandalism.
You’ve probably covered your bases, but just in case, here are 10 basic precautions you can take:
- Have someone collect your mail and newspaper daily.
- Leave shades and blinds in normal positions.
- Put at least two lights and a radio on automatic timers.
- Have someone leave trash at your curb on garbage collection day.
- Have someone park a car in your driveway occasionally. If you leave your car outside, arrange to have it moved every so often.
- Leave a key with a trusted neighbor in case of an emergency. Let the neighbor know where you are going and when you are expect to return, also leave them a way to get in contact with you in case of an emergency.
- Lock all windows and doors before you go. Do not forget to double-check basement and garage doors.
- On extended trips have someone to maintain your landscaping, (grass mowed, leaves raked, etc.)
- Consider turning off your home’s water main to prevent damage from a burst pipe.
- Be careful how much you check-in on social media while on vacation. If your privacy settings are incorrect you might reveal to strangers your home is vacant!
Be safe and enjoy your vacation.
If you plan on visiting Prescott ...
Historic Whiskey Row and downtown Prescott are popular places to to visit while in Prescott. Not only can you stroll around the historic Yavapai County Courthouse, you can also shop in numerous specialty shops and antique stores, have lunch at several award winning restaurants, and grab an ice cream and sit on the park benches and enjoy the views of the surrounding mountains.
You may want to consider visiting Prescott during Fourth of July and enjoy the World’s Oldest Rodeo. This event has week long activities of parades and numerous rodeo performances that are guaranteed to entertain.
Consider moving to Prescott ...
View a current list of homes for sale in Prescott, Arizona here. For more information, give Tim Anderson with Better Homes and Gardens Real Estate BloomTree Realty a call at (928) 308-9595, he has more than 30 years of experience in real estate!
Tim & Charlie Anderson